When we moved into this house, the wallpaper in our bedroom was patchy and damaged – there was even a section where it had been ripped off. The walls had some minor damage, and the ceiling was also showing its age. As the first and last room we see each day, it really acted as a constant reminder of the work we still had to do.
A few weeks ago we removed the wallpaper, and at the start of this week our bedroom was all bare gib. Since Tuesday, our builder has been transforming it, and now we have a beautiful smooth surface, with bedding compound and plaster, while our ceiling is sanded, plastered and sealed ready to repaint.
Having the walls stripped and tidied up also presented an ideal opportunity to get a couple of extra powerpoints installed – not something we’d originally planned, but a sensible (and inexpensive) addition.
So we’ve been living in a bit of a building site this week – drop sheets, tools and a couple of nights with the heat pump on high to dry plaster ready for the following day. It’s definitely going to be worth it, though.
Next week the walls will be sealed (to help prevent moisture damaging the gib) and the builder might get to start painting (assuming we choose colours between now and then). We’re not going to be back sleeping in the room until the following week, but it’s going to be wonderful having a bedroom that’s as good as new.